Thursday, August 5, 2010

Crab Toggle


This clever toggle is designed so that the crab's back is a separate piece and serves as the toggle bar.  It has a wire loop on the bottom to attach the second side of the necklace to.
I went to Hilton Head this summer and enjoyed the hundreds of crabs at the nature preserve.  They are Fiddler Crabs and resemble very large bugs, and have only 1 large claw. When disturbed, they went scurrying for their holes, and jumped in legs first, holding the claw aloft like a flag!
This diamond shaped toggle is 1 1/2" square.  The crab is a blue crab, and background is painted with a golden tan glaze that looks like sand.  I used a heavy white crackle glaze on the edges to look like foamy waves on the sand.
Check out the Beads-of-Clay.blogspot.com  this Sat. Aug 6.  I am posting a tutorial on how I made this.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is one of the coolest toggles I have seen in awhile. Neat concept to have the 'bar' fill in the back of the crab. I miss going to the beach. I love the ghost crabs in Pensacola.

Shaterra Clay said...

I love going to different parts of the country and seeing all the wildlife that I can't see at home. Those crabs hopping into the holes were just the cutest.