Sunday, February 21, 2010

Paper Clay

Last night I played with paper clay. What is paper clay, you might ask? Well, it is clay mixed with paper! It is supposed to make a lighter clay that doesn't WARP when it dries. I struggle so with warping, I thought the extra effort to make this clay would be worth it. I tore up newspaper, soaked it, and whirled it in my industrial strength blender to make the pulp.
I mixed the pulp into the clay, it is supposed to be about 10% paper, 90% clay. The paper seemed to form lumps in the clay, but I went ahead and cut out some forms anyway. The fact that it was lumpy didn't seem right to me, because those paper lumps are going to fire out. So I looked on the internet, and I was supposed to get the clay like mud and then stir the paper in.
Then dry the clay on a plaster batt, which I don't have, so I'll have to get one and try again. I'm still going to fire the ones I made though, and see what happens.
I am happy to report that the pendants are almost dry this morning and very FLAT!!

1 comment:

Summer said...

Sounds like a fun experiment! I hope it turns out the way you want:)